1. Ambassador Ken Osinde Nyauncho was born on August 18, 1962, in Kenya. He holds an M.A. degree from the University of Nairobi and a Master of Business administration (MBA) degree. After many years in academia as a lecturer, he took up the post of manager at the National Bank of Kenya, where he rose to the position of Head of the Strategic Planning Group.
2. In April 2010, President Mwai Kibaki announced the appointment of Osinde as the new ambassador in Germany. In addition to Germany, Osinde was also responsible for representing Kenyan interests in Bulgaria and Romania.
3. Mr. Ken Osinde is listed as a director of Sanlam General Insurance Ltd, together with Telkom Kenya chief executive officer and former director-general of the Kenya Vision 2030 Delivery Board Mugo Kibati, and the estate of the late Cabinet minister John Michuki. He stepped aside in March 2016 following corruption allegations.
4. Mr. Ken Osinde was among those summoned by DCI for probe after it emerged that an Italian firm contracted to do two dams at Elgeyo-Marakwet County, wired Sh47 million to an insurance company linked to Mr. Osinde, Sanlam General Insurance.
5. His first personal interaction with DP Ruto was in 2014 while in Germany. During the ICC case, DP and wife Rachel train was canceled in Cologne where they had gone for site seeing. They sought the help of the ambassador in Germany Ken Osinde who organized for their flight out of Cologne.
6. Some Sh30billion was disbursed to an Italian firm to build two dams in Elgeyo Marakwet County. But the firm spent the money strangely, on items such as towels and tiles, leading to accusations of corruption. The firm is now bankrupt, and the dams were never built. A hefty chunk of the misspent money —Sh68million — was paid to Osinde’s Sanlam General Insurance.
7. He provides a buffer between the DP and the team that reports to him. Ken Osinde generally works behind the scenes to solve problems, mediate disputes, and deal with issues before they are brought to Ruto’s attention.
8. Ambassador Osinde has served in the financial services sector as the CEO of NBK and director of the College of Insurance.
9. Ken Osinde, Together with others under DP Ruto’s directive, they have been pushing for the construction of Bonyunyu Dam despite the fact that no feasibility study was done or even public participation. The Bonyunyu Dam will cost taxpayers Sh5billion and when the DP visited the region last year in June, he insisted that the construction will go on as planned.
10. Ken Osinde is not new to scandals; While at NBK, Ken was involved in a fraud linked to a deposit mobilization program that paid commissions to private agents for funds banked by government agencies.
CMA said in its report on NBK that it had found the Nairobi Securities Exchange (NSE)-listed bank’s profits grossly overstated and Sh1 billion lost through an embezzlement scheme.
This put the bank in a very bad financial state which almost brought the Government parastatal to its knees. It’s through connections that he was able to rise again and appealed for the ambassadorial job.