I’m Going To Smash My Opponents And Retain My Seat, Says Mwendwa

I'm Going To Smash My Opponents And Retain My Seat, Says Mwendwa 1

FKF president Nick Mwendwa has expressed confidence in retaining his seat despite the ballooning number of those seeking to oust him in the forthcoming national polls.

Speaking while fielding questions from hosts of a radio talk show during an interview at one of the local stations on Saturday morning, Mwendwa reiterated that there is no way his opponents could floor him since he enjoyed unwavering support in all the 47 counties. He even asked where his opponents would get their votes from.

“I’m convinced of an overwhelming victory come to the next election. I enjoy massive support in all the 47 counties,” said Mwendwa.

He lashed out at his opponents whom he accused of resorting to underhand political tactics to discredit his re-election bid after realizing they had no clout on the ground.

“Surely, how can they accuse me of vandalizing Goal Project which is my own initiative? Can someone rob himself?” he posed.

Mwendwa had come under close scrutiny after allegations of theft emerged at Kandanda House, prompting his opponents to threaten court action.

He termed the plan to arraign him in court as reeking of malice, adding that it was a clear pointer to the obvious fact that his opponents had lost the battle on the ground and could now only turn to court proceedings as a last resort to scuttle his bid for a second term in office.

“If they had the kind of support they claim to enjoy, you wouldn’t be seeing them jamming the court corridors seeking orders to stop the electoral process.”

The field of those who have expressed interest in the seat continues to bulge with six candidates who have already confirmed they will participate in the elections. Among them is former Cecafa Secretary General Nicholas Musonye whose entry has caused anxiety and excitement in equal measure.

Former FKF president Sam Nyamweya, immediate former Vihiga Governor Moses Akaranga, former AFC Leopards chairman Alex ole Magero, and Gor Mahia FC’s Lordvick Aduda have all expressed interest in the seat.

Meanwhile, Mwendwa has said that the decision he made to declare Gor Mahia champions of the Kenyan Premier League was well informed and based on FIFA laws.

He insists that both the KPL and NSL competitions had to be concluded and winners determined the way he did because there was no guarantee normalcy would resume anytime soon yet Caf had already written to federation asking for names of teams that would represent the country in the Champions League and the Caf Confederations Cup.

Said he: “We analyzed the situation from the positive aspect, assuming that the government would soon call off the ban on public gatherings. Given such a scenario, the earliest the leagues could resume would be in July. We would need at least two months to conclude the remaining 10 matches. That would mean concluding in September.”

Mwendwa said that there was also the possibility the government would extend the ban depending on the situation in the country, making it even more impossible to conclude the competitions.

“I’m sure we made the right decisions given the situation at hand. Many more countries will take the same direction in the coming days.”

Facebook Comments

ANOTHER GREAT ARTICLE:  Aduda Salutes Mwendwa For Presiding Over Major Changes In Football

You Missed This...