Ex CJ David Maraga will go down history lane as one of the most steadfast-if not controversial-Chief Justice in Kenya.
His retirement will shield him from the politics that surrounded his tumultuous tenure in office.
That said, the CJ will have a handsome send-off package to the tune of millions. Here is a breakdown of what he will receive.
Money And Other Benefits to Ex CJ David Maraga Life After Retirement.
- KES15 million-this is the lump sum payment he will receive for the period he worked in the Judiciary spanning more than 18 years.
- Get a monthly pension equal to 80% of his last monthly salary.
- Sh300,000 for inpatient and outpatient treatment
- Sh75,000 for dental cover and a similar amount for optical.
- Fuel Allowance will be 15% of the current monthly salary of the office holder
- Access VIP lounges at all airports in Kenya
- Hold a diplomatic passport. His wife will also be entitled to the same.
- Two saloon cars not exceeding 2000 cc will be at his disposal. They will be replaced after every four years.
- Ex CJ David Maraga will receive one four-wheel-drive vehicle not exceeding 3,000 ccs for long travel will be replaced after every four years.
Former Chief Justice David Maraga has criticized President Uhuru Kenyatta for failing to appoint six of the Judicial Service Commission’s recommended 40 judges.
Maraga told KTN television on Wednesday that he will remember Uhuru as a president who disregarded the rule of law.
According to Maraga, the president’s reluctance to nominate six judges without providing justification was an affront to the rule of law.