Super Napier grass is a hybrid variety of Napier grass that is known for its high productivity, drought resistance, and disease tolerance. It was developed in Thailand by Dr. Krailas Kiyothong, an animal nutritionist and plant breeder.
Characteristics of Super Napier grass:
- High yield: Super Napier grass can produce up to 200 tonnes of dry matter per hectare per year. This is much higher than the yield of ordinary Napier grass, which is typically around 100 tonnes per hectare per year.
- Drought resistance: Super Napier grass is more drought tolerant than ordinary Napier grass. This makes it a good choice for farmers in areas with erratic rainfall.
- Disease tolerance: Super Napier grass is more resistant to diseases than ordinary Napier grass. This means that farmers can save money on pesticides and fungicides.
- Smooth leaves: The leaves of Super Napier grass are smooth and hairless, which makes them more palatable to livestock than the leaves of ordinary Napier grass.
Farming process of Super Napier grass:
- The first step is to prepare the soil. The soil should be well-drained and free of weeds.
- Super Napier grass can be propagated by cuttings or by seeds. Cuttings are the preferred method, as they are more successful.
- The cuttings should be planted in rows that are 60 cm apart.
- The grass should be watered regularly, especially during the first few weeks after planting.
- Super Napier grass can be harvested for the first time after 90 days from planting.
- The grass should be harvested every 45-60 days after that.
Where to get Super Napier grass seeds in Kenya:
- You can get Super Napier grass seeds from several suppliers in Kenya. Some of the suppliers include:
- Farmers Market Kenya
- Mkulima Young
- Green Thumb
- You can also find Super Napier grass seeds online.
How long does Super Napier grass take to grow?
Super Napier grass can be harvested for the first time after 90 days from planting. However, it will reach its full maturity after about 180 days.
What is Super Napier grass used for?
Super Napier grass is used as a forage crop for livestock. It is also used to make silage and hay.
What are the disadvantages of Super Napier grass?
- Super Napier grass is a relatively new variety of grass, so there is not a lot of information about its long-term effects on livestock.
- Super Napier grass can be susceptible to pests and diseases, especially if it is not properly managed.
- Super Napier grass can be invasive, so it is important to plant it in a controlled area.
What is the difference between Napier grass and super Napier grass?
Napier grass and Super Napier grass are both varieties of elephant grass. However, Super Napier grass is a hybrid variety that has been bred for its high productivity, drought resistance, and disease tolerance. Super Napier grass also has higher protein content than Napier grass.
Here is a table that summarizes the key differences between Napier grass and Super Napier grass:
|Feature||Napier grass||Super Napier grass|
|Yield||100 tonnes per hectare per year||200 tonnes per hectare per year|
|Invasiveness||Can be invasive||Less invasive|