Radio 47 is now the newest radio station in Kenya sending shockwaves across the nation.
Preparations to launch the station started in 2022, with the latest move being the poaching spree of top radio talent in the country.
In the talent hunt that has left top radio stations wounded, the new station has snapped big names in the media industry as its launch nears.
Standard Group’s Radio Maisha has lost several presenters to Radio 47 including Ali Kauleni Hassan aka Hassan Mwana wa Ali, Lynda Oriaso, Geoffrey Mung’ou, and Beatrice Maganga.
Here are some of the big media names who have joined Radio 47
- Evah Mwalili, award-winning gospel presenter, from Milele FM
- Ali Hassan Kauleni, veteran sports commentator and presenter, from Radio Maisha
- Lynda Oriaso, news anchor and reporter, from Radio Maisha
- Geoffrey Mung’ou, news anchor and reporter, from Radio Maisha
- Beatrice Maganga, news anchor and reporter, from Radio Maisha
- Irene Kaimuri, producer, from Radio Maisha
- Eric Wambugu, producer, from Radio Maisha
- Emmanuel Mwashumbe, presenter, from Radio Maisha
- Mkamburi Chigogo, presenter, from Radio Maisha
- Mwanaisha Chidzuga, presenter, from Radio Maisha
Behind the radio station is Prof Simon Gicharu, the chairman of Mount Kenya University (MKU) and also the proprietor of TV47. He is understood to have acquired radio frequencies from a private investor who disposed of them after the elections.
The station is said to be targeting a young and urban audience. It is expected to offer a mix of news, talk shows, music, and sports programming.
The arrival of these big media names is a sign that Radio 47 is serious about competing with the established players in the Kenyan radio industry. It will be interesting to see how the station performs in the months to come.
Radio 47 is a new radio station owned by Cape Media Company, an affiliate of Mount Kenya University. It is set to launch on March 13, 2023. The station has been attracting big names in the media industry and is expected to be a major player in the Kenyan radio landscape.