A man in the Kibundani area, Kwale County on Tuesday, March 17, died after he was assaulted by a group of youth at night.
The man, George Kotini Hezron, is said to have been suspected of suffering from coronavirus by the residents, who decided to take the law into their hands against CS Mutahi Kagwe’s directive that any such cases should be reported through the ministry’s toll-free line.
Kotini is said to have been heading home after having a drink at the Diani joint when he was attacked at 9 pm.
A signpost showing the Msambweni County Referral Hospital
“Kotini met a group of youths, and an argument ensued as the youths took advantage of his drunkenness and started accusing him of suffering from coronavirus. As a result, they seriously assaulted him, hence sustaining injuries,” read a report filed at Diani Police Station.
According to K24 Digital, the attackers used stones and boulders to hit the middle-aged man, before they fled and left him.
Police who arrived at the scene found that the attackers had already left and rushed Kotini to Msambweni Referral Hospital, where he died while receiving treatment.
Kwale County Commander Joseph Nthenge confirmed the incident and stated that the police were following up on the matter.
No arrests, however, have been made yet.
This comes after Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe on Wednesday, March 18 announced the confirmation of three more Coronavirus (Covid-19) cases in Kenya bringing the total number of confirmed cases to seven.
The announcement brings the total number of confirmed cases in the country to seven.
Among the three newly confirmed cases is a Burundian national who arrived in Kenya from Dubai on March 17.
The other two, a couple from Spain, arrived on March 4, landing at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) from Dubai as well.
Kagwe warned of dire consequences for those who failed to self-quarantine on arrival, noting that they were required to swear a legal document promising to do so.