Omena also knows as dagga fish comes from Lake Victoria. They are small and silvery in color fish. The fish are usually caught during moonless nights using a lamp.
The light given by the lamp attracts them and they come to the surface of the lake which makes it easier for the fishermen to catch them.
The small fish from the lake are then sold to the women at the shores of Lake Victoria. They are sun dried and they are distributed in various markets in East and Central Africa.i.e. in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and other countries.
For example in Kenya and Tanzania, there is whole market where omena are sold.
They are a source of food in many African countries. The following are the reasons why you should consider Omena in your diet.
- It contains Omega 3 fatty acids. This is an important substance that is required by the brain and eye development.
- They contain calcium in abundance. Calcium is important in pregnant women for the development of the fetus. For the bones to be strong, calcium is required.
- Fish is an excellent source of Vitamin D. Very essential for our bodies.
- Eating fish has been linked to reduced chances of heart ailments.
- Also, studies have shown that eating fish once or twice a week can reduce depression.
The above are just examples. The essentials of a fish are countless. For more about essentials associated with fish diet check
How to prepare Omena.
- Remove all the unwanted or unnecessary materials from the Omena.
- Boil water and soak you’re them in a bowl for about 3 minutes. You can soak twice or thrice depending on your preference.
- Using a pan or sufuria, place your clean omena so that all the water can dry up.
- Remember to use low flame.
- When all the water is dried up, put your omena in a bowl.
- Place your pan on the flame and add vegetable oil. Wait about 3 minutes for the oil to be hot and form bubbles.
- Put them on the pan and cook with a low flame for about 3 minutes.
- Add your onion, garlic, and hot pepper. Let it cook for 3 minutes. Remember the flame must be moderate.
- After three minutes, add your tomatoes, you can keep them in hot water and then peel them for a good sauce. Add the green pepper and salt.
- Let the food cook for another five minutes. Enjoy with ugali.
- It is best enjoyed with Ugali.