Former Nairobi Governor Mike Mbuvi Sonko has been discharged from The Nairobi Hospital after almost one month.
The embattled Governor was on February, Tuesday 9, driven into the private hospital in an ambulance after allegedly experiencing a severe stomach ache.
However on, Friday, March 12, his defence team confirmed that the flamboyant politician had been discharged from the hospital.
According to his lead lawyer, John Khaminwa, Sonko left the medical facility and is currently resting at home.
Khaminwa further said that the Ex-Governor is mentally unfit to stand trial.
Evans Ondieki, who is part of Sonko’s legal defence team said that a court-ordered medical report showed that the former governor is fit to stand trial in his Sh10 million and Sh14 million corruption cases.
Magistrate Peter Ooko had on March, Thursday 4, directed that Sonko be examined by a government psychiatrist to confirm if he is fit to stand trial.
Sonko is also facing an assault case at the Kiambu Law Courts and a terrorism case at the Kahawa Law Courts.
The Chief magistrate sitting at Milimani Anti-Corruption Court took note of the medical reports from a team of four doctors from Kenyatta National Hospital dated February, Thursday 25,- and another by one Dr Pius.
Ooko observed that though there is a concurrence in that the ex-county boss suffers from a mental disorder, being bipolar, there is however a sharp difference as to whether or not he is indeed fit to stand trial.
It is during his stay at the city hospital that Sonko told the court he needed to travel to South Africa for minor hip surgery.
Through his lawyers, the beleaguered politician said a doctor who has been attending to him at a Nairobi hospital recommended an urgent hip replacement to be done at a facility in South Africa.
On Tuesday, February, Tuesday 16, Kahawa West Chief Magistrate Diana Mochache allowed the politician to continue his medication at Nairobi Hospital until he fully recovers.
Earlier Friday, March 12, Dr Khaminwa clashed with state prosecutors who wanted the Ksh14 million graft case against the former city chief executive officer mentioned on March, Monday 15, 2021.