The people are represented in the county governments by the County Assembly Members(MCA). While some are chosen by political parties, others are chosen by the electorate. Here is how much cash they bring home at the end of the month.
County Assembly Members Election Qualifications:
For you to get elected as a member of the county assembly in Kenya, the qualifications you will need to meet include;
- Unless disqualified under clause
- A person is eligible for election as a member of a county assembly (MCA) if the person;
- is registered as a voter;
- satisfies any educational, moral, and ethical requirements prescribed by this Constitution or an Act of Parliament; and
- is either –
(i) nominated by a political party; or
(ii) an independent candidate supported by at least five hundred registered voters in the ward concerned.
- A person is disqualified from being elected a member of a county assembly if the person;
- is a State officer or other public officer, other than a member of the county assembly;
- has, at any time within the five years immediately before the date of the election, held office as a member of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission;
- has not been a citizen of Kenya for at least the ten years immediately preceding the date of the election;
- is of unsound mind;
- is an undischarged bankrupt;
- is serving a sentence of imprisonment of at least six months; or
- has been found, in accordance with any law, to have misused or abused a State office or public office or to have contravened Chapter Six.
- A person is not disqualified under the clause.
- unless all possibility of appeal or review of the relevant sentence or decision has been exhausted.
With that being said, below is how much an MCA earns monthly and all MCA allowances.
MCA Roles And Responsibilities In Kenya
MCA stands for Member of County Assembly, and their roles and responsibilities in Kenya are primarily related to local government.
Here are some of the key roles and responsibilities of an MCA in Kenya:
- Legislation: MCAs are responsible for proposing, debating, and enacting legislation that affects their constituencies. They work to create by-laws, policies, and regulations to address local issues such as health, education, infrastructure, and environmental protection.
- Representation: MCAs are elected to represent the people in their constituencies. They are responsible for communicating the needs and concerns of their constituents to the County Assembly and the County Government.
- Oversight: MCAs are responsible for overseeing the actions of the County Government and ensuring that they are acting in the best interests of the people. They also have the power to investigate and make recommendations regarding any issues that arise.
- Budgetary approval: MCAs have a role in approving the County Budget and ensuring that public funds are used responsibly and effectively.
- Development: MCAs work to promote and support local economic development, create job opportunities, and provide basic services such as water and sanitation to their constituencies.
Overall, MCAs play a critical role in local governance and are responsible for representing the interests of their constituents while ensuring that their counties operate efficiently and effectively.
MCA Salaries and Allowances
Kenyan MCAs earn money monthly from their basic salaries, allowance, and tenders among other personal sources of income such as the companies they own which are always receiving county tenders from the government.
In general, Kenyan MCA makes an average of Ksh. 160,000 per month as their basic salary.
MCA also Make Money from Monthly Allowance. Below is how much an MCA Makes as a Monthly Allowance.
Member of County Assembly Monthly Allowance
MCA makes Ksh. 5,000 each month as their Airtime Allowance and another Ksh. 5,000 as their Sitting Allowance per session.
The Monthly Mileage Allowance of MCA in Kenya is Ksh. 40,000.
On an average basis, MCAs also received around Ksh. 150,000 Per Diem for Local and Foreign Travel among other allowances.
SRC directly regulates and determines salaries received by civil servants, Members of Parliament, teachers, Senators, MCAs, and other categories of Civil Servants.
The commission unleashed a new salary scale that recommends an MCA basic salary of about Ksh. 123,750 for all members of the county assembly (MCA).
According to SRC’s new salaries, an MCA will take home Ksh. 500,000 after factoring in all the allowances.
As of this year, that’s the amount of salary an MCA in Kenya makes monthly from working as a Member of the County Assembly.
Kenyan MCA nominee’s annual salary
Every MCA in Kenya receives the same pay. This is because county legislators who are nominated enjoy the same rights and benefits as those who are elected.
READ ALSO: MAMA NGINA KENYATTA NET WORTH 2023,