Madaraka Express train driver is commonly known as an engineer or railroad engineer in the United States and Canada. Sometimes he or she is also referred to as a locomotive handler, locomotive operator, train operator, or motorman. A Madaraka Express train driver is a person who drives a train, multiple units,s or a locomotive.
The driver is in charge of and is responsible for the mechanical operation of the train, train speed, and all of the train handling. Madaraka Express train drivers must follow certain guidelines for driving a train safely.
For instance, in general, train drivers are encouraged to favor longer stopping distances as this promotes vehicle health, safety, and passenger comfort.
Madaraka Express train drivers Qualifications.
Train drivers usually need a high school diploma or an equivalent qualification. Some railway companies may require additional education, such as a post-secondary certificate or diploma in a relevant field like transportation or engineering.
2. Age Requirements
There is typically a minimum age requirement to become a train driver, which is usually around 18 to 21 years old. The maximum age limit may also apply in some cases.
3. Medical Fitness:
Train drivers must meet specific medical standards to ensure they can safely perform their duties. This often involves passing a comprehensive medical examination that includes vision and hearing tests, as well as assessments of general health and fitness.
4. Driver’s License:
Train drivers are usually required to have a valid driver’s license, typically a full and unrestricted license. This is necessary as train drivers often need to commute to and from their work locations.
5. Background Checks:
As train drivers have significant responsibilities and work in safety-sensitive positions, they typically undergo background checks, including criminal record checks and drug/alcohol screening, to ensure their suitability for the role.
6. Training Programs:
Train drivers must complete extensive training programs that cover both theoretical and practical aspects of operating trains.
These programs are often provided by railway companies and can last several months to a year, depending on the complexity of the train systems and routes.
The training programs generally include the following components:
- Classroom Instruction: Trainees learn about railway operations, safety procedures, signaling systems, emergency protocols, and relevant regulations and laws.
- Simulator Training: Trainees practice operating trains in realistic simulated environments, which allows them to develop essential skills and familiarize themselves with different scenarios they may encounter on the job.
- On-the-Job Training: Trainees work under the supervision of experienced train drivers, gradually taking on more responsibility as they gain practical experience. They learn about specific routes, train handling techniques, communication protocols, and various operational tasks.
- Certification: After successfully completing the training program, trainees typically undergo examinations to obtain the necessary certifications and licenses to operate trains. The specific certifications required may vary depending on the railway company and the types of trains they operate.
7. Complete Certificate IV in Train Driving (TLI42621). You may be able to complete this course as part of a traineeship with the major rail operator in your state.
8. You may be required to undertake and pass a Category One Medical. Some hirers may also prefer you to have a current, unrestricted driver’s license.
Madaraka Express Drivers Salary.
The estimated total pay for a Madaraka Express train driver at Kenya Railways Corporation is average of 49,000 Kenyan Shillings. This is their average basic salary per month. Their salaries usually range from 22,500 Kenyan Shillings to 77,800 Kenyan Shillings.
Their salary varies depending on their ranks and years of experience. The train drivers also enjoy allowances like house allowances, and medical allowances among so many others.