You can transfer a logbook ownership of a motor vehicle online through the National Transport Safety Authority (NTSA) online ie website.
Below is how to transfer a logbook:
Register to NTSA TIMS
- Go to https://tims.ntsa.go.ke/login_csp.jsp.
- Both parties (buyer and seller) have to create individual accounts.
- Click on REGISTER AN ACCOUNT and chose the registration options (individual, car dealer, financial institution, or company)
- Fill in the details as required
- To receive an SMS alert for the secret code that confirms the successful transaction, ensure you click on the subscribe SMS option at the top right corner
NTSA logbook transfer fee
The transfer fee for the NTSA logbook has not changed compared to the previous year, 2018.
The NTSA logbook transfer charges can be varies depending on the engine capacity of the vehicle.
- Not exceeding 1000cc: Kshs 1,660
- 1001 – 1200cc: Kshs 1,890
- 1201 – 1500cc: Kshs 2,065
- 1501 – 1700cc: Kshs 2,410
- 1701 – 2000cc: Kshs 2,695
- 2001 – 2500cc: Kshs 3,845
- 2501 – 3000cc: Kshs 5,055
- 3001 and above Kshs 5,915
- A trailer with less than four wheels: Kshs 1,030
- A trailer with more than four wheels: Kshs 1,890
- Tractor: Kshs 1,030
How to make the transfer
- Click on VEHICLE REGISTRATION to access the menu
- Click on APPLY FOR TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP
- Click on CREATE NEW button and key in the vehicle registration number
- Click on INQUIRE to find information about the vehicle
- Then click VIEW to get more information
- UPLOAD a scanned copy of the logbook
- Under New Vehicle, the seller should select whether they are an individual, company, dealer, or financial institution.
- Key in your national ID number if making the transfer as an individual
- If transacting as a company, key in the PIN number then click the ADD option
- Proceed to security verification, select MOBILE
- Select SEND VERIFICATION CODE then enter the code you will receive on your phone
- Once the seller clicks SUBMIT, the buyer will receive a notification via SMS that the vehicle has been transferred to them and that they are required to either accept or decline the transfer.
MUST READ: How to Register a Diplomatic Vehicle
To accept the Vehicle transfer
- Log in to https://tims.ntsa.go.ke/login_csp.jsp.
- Click on VIEW to see the vehicle details
- Under security verification, select VERIFICATION MODE and click SEND to get the code on your phone
- Key in the verification and either ACCEPT or DECLINE the transfer (decline will revert the vehicle back to the owner)
- If you click on ACCEPT, fill in the required information
- Then click on SUBMIT for the application to be sent to NTSA for processing.
Your logbook will be ready within seven working days. The system is designed to help with the NTSA logbook transfer online of a motor vehicle and other services related to what the agency offers.