Membership can be through an employer, or one can apply individually. Registration is eligible to members both from the formal and informal sectors.
Some of the services that NHIF covers include,
- Impatient and outpatient services
- Maternity services
- Cancer treatment.
- Renal dialysis among others.
Steps to pay NHIF via M-Pesa
- Choose the Pay Bill option on your M-Pesa menu
- Enter Business no. 200222
- Type in contributor’s National Identity Number
- Enter the amount in Kenya shillings you wish to contribute
- Type in your M-Pesa Pin
- Confirm all details are correct then press OK
- You will receive a confirmation SMS from Mpesa immediately.
Transaction charges applicable are Kshs 15.
NB: This option is only available to voluntary contributors & the self employed.
How to know If you have paid NHIF?
You can easily check the status of your account using a mobile phone by carrying out the following steps:
- Compose a new SMS
- Type the letters “ID”, space, then your ID number.
- Send the SMS to 21101
As a result, you will get a reply showing your member number, your ID number, year of birth, your last contributions, and your dependents.