The Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) has been a lifesaver for most of us who didn’t have enough savings to pursue higher education. The board allocations some funds every year to support needy students who are expected to pay back when they get a job or are able to. For those who have already started paying for their loans, there’s a simple way to check your remaining HELB loan balance using your mobile phone.
The process is simple and doesn’t require a connection to the internet, all you need is a mobile phone with some airtime that can effectively run a USSD code. Since there’s no internet connection needed, users don’t need a smartphone or to download an app for that matter.
To check your HELB loan balance, follow the below steps
- On your mobile phone, dial *642#
- Then select “Log in”, usually option 1
- You’ll be prompted to enter your PIN, then press OK
- Choose Loan Repayment on the next prompt
- Then select Loan Balance
- You should receive a text message with your remaining Loan Balance.