– The DCI has launched investigations over an alleged clearance of 28 containers of contraband sugar at the port of Mombasa.
– The DCI wants the Anti Counterfeit Agency (ACA) to produce the inventory of the sugar seized at the port including other inventories of goods seized since 2017.
– In a letter addressed to ACA, the DCI wanted the agency to furnish them with details of how the containers were cleared at the point of entry.
– According to reports, senior officials at the ACA were believed to be behind the clearance.It is believed that rogue officials at the agency were conspiring with unscrupulous traders to release, without proper documents, sugar that had been seized at the height of the sugar crisis.
– The Kenya Agency Network Against Corruption also wrote to ACA Board of Directors, Flora Mutai, demanding that action is taken against the suspected officials.